Monday, September 6, 2010

Seasons of Life

Happy Labor Day!
Summer is basically over, although I do thoroughly enjoy the weather that comes in Sept-Oct.
I started back to teaching already last week. It's very hard to believe that I've starting my 5th year of teaching! Good times... good times.

I'm thinking about seasons today. ... As today is a day that signifies the changing of seasons for many of us. Of course, the 'seasons' that I'm reminded of today are those seasons of life that we find ourselves in throughout our lifetime.

As I sit here at Caribou today, I have my headphones in, as I usually do, but I can't help but overhear the conversation taking place at the table next to me. Two teenage girls, one boy, are lamenting about school starting tomorrow. I've been able to surmise that they are entering into their Jr year of HS. I don't know that I could actually label what they are saying as "conversation", actually. Every other word is "f- this, f-that" and they make fun of every person that walks by. They are also extremely sexually explicit in their convers- uh- speech. I feel thankful that I don't teach high school as I listen to this. I can also honestly say that I have not been in this 'season' that they appear to be in right now --That insecure, lashing out to the world, rebellion. The insecure part.. of course...but I find myself feeling a quickening of worship in my spirit that thanks God for guiding me and sparing me from learning life lessons the way that these kids will almost assuredly learn them. Ahh- high school- so glad that I'm well beyond that season.

College too. Since I hang out at a coffee shop, it's easy to find your average college student. More studious than the high schooler, but still afflicted with various amounts of drama, relational angst, etc. I worked hard in college. and I'm glad that I did. I learned that "learning the hard way" doesn't have to happen. Praise God. I don't have to 'learn the hard way' about anything. Sadly, there are people all around us that are busy doing just that -learning life lessons the "hard way". God has shown me that this is not necessary at all -especially in the area of relationships. I could take a little rabbit trail here, but I'll save that for another post!

OK - there are several other seasons that I could expound upon, but I kinda want to keep this short. Let's jump to right now - where God has me now. It's wild and I'm learning to love it. It's just so ripe with possibility. I love seeing Romans 8:28 alive and active in my life -

Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.

This actually starts with verse 26.. but, wow - that's it! That sums up this season - my life, really.
Everything is worked into something good- because that's His nature. Goodness!! I'm enjoying the journey, although it can be, and oftentimes is, very trying. More on that in a later post, but, with Holy Spirit, how could I not enjoy the journey? The kingdom of heaven being established here - that's what I'm a part of- and it's a fun, hilarious adventure. Just getting started.

What season are you in??

No comments: